On Saturday 2nd October 2004 Bishop Charles Henderson conferred the Bene Merenti Medal to David Goodhind at the 6.30pm Mass. The picture to the right shows David and the Bishop holding the certificate immediately after the presentation. Here is the text of the proclamation read by Bishop Henderson before the presentation.
For outstanding and faithful service to the Church: -
- In Music and Liturgy: -
- As Organist here at St Mary of the Crays for 53 years.
- As organiser of the Parish Carol Service annually for 40 years enabling the development of a wider range of music by the choir.
- Working closely with St Joseph's school pupils in their singing and also enabling Instrumental (Folk) Groups as they formed.
- As provider and composer of suitable settings for the Mass liturgy in the changeover period from Latin to English after the Second Vatican Council.
- As the formator of a Deanery Choir, with singers from the eight parishes of the Bexley Deanery - performing at special occasions.
- As Organist and Choirmaster serving on the Parish Liturgy Group.
- As provider and author of a series of articles to support the setting up of the Parish Pastoral Council and serving on the Council as a member for several years.
- In the promotion of Christian Unity: -
- Since the time of Pope Pious XII, prior to Vatican II, in dialogue with other Christians, at work and in the local parish Christian Communities.
- In close 'hands-on' involvement in the preparation and eventual signing of the Local Catholic, Church of England and Methodist Covenant in 1985.
- As a member of the Committee of Churches Together in Crayford, and for a certain period, Co-Chairman of that Body.
- As instigator and co-ordinator of the "Ecumenical Liturgy Group", providing suitable material for special ecumenical services and celebrations.
- In writing meditation and reflections for ecumenical Church and Civic services and contributing to the Diocesan Unity Bulletin "Together-in-Christ".
- As Parish Unity Contact: and as a member of the South East Area Diocesan Unity Commission.
- In other areas of Ministry and Mission of the Church: -
- As parish representative on the Deanery Pastoral Council.
- As Musical Director of the Lesnes Abbey Corpus Christi Procession for over 20 years: preparing on many occasions the complete service and commentary.
- At present preparing for even further work by reading for a Degree in Theology in the hope of promoting Catholic Adult Education.
For such sustained and outstanding service to the Church, over so many years, Our Holy Father Pope John Paul II has awarded the medal "Bene Merenti" to David Goodhind.
I am sure David would wish me to say that all his excellent contribution would not have been possible without the help and support of his dear wife Mary, and many others. Gratitude to them all.
The picture to the left was taken during the reception in the hall afterwards.