Gift Aid

What is Gift Aid?

It is a scheme designed to encourage donors – who must be taxpayers – to sign a declaration form so that all their donations to the charity (Roman Catholic Diocese of Southwark) can be treated as Gift Aid donations. The donations can be of any amount, there is no lower or upper limit and they do not have to be of a fixed amount or frequency. By signing the form, donors can ensure that their parishes get a substantial refund from the Inland Revenue without having to increase their level of giving.

In order for the parish to benefit from your donations:

  • You must be a U.K.Taxpayer
  • You must complete a Gift Aid Declaration
  • Your contributions must be easily identified as coming from you

For every pound you give, your parish will get back an additional 25 pence from the Inland Revenue.

Do You Pay Tax?
Then please join the Gift Aid Scheme

If you have an income (wage, salary, pension or investment income) on which you pay U.K. Income Tax, you can boost the donations you are currently making to your parish by 25% without giving any extra!

If you give
each week
This amounts
to each year
Income Tax
Real amount
of your gift
£1 £52 £13 £65
£3 £156 £39 £195
£5 £260 £65 £325
£10 £520 £130 £650

It works like this: For example, if you give £104 each year (£2.00 per week) to the Church, you would have paid Income Tax of £26.00 on that amount. By completing a Gift Aid declaration, you give the Church authority to reclaim this amount of Tax from the Inland Revenue. This is equivalent to a bonus of 25 pence on every £1 donated.

Complete a Gift Aid Declaration and hand it to your Parish Gift Aid Organiser or your Parish Priest. Make your contributions to the Church by Weekly Numbered Envelope, Bankers Order or Cheque.

Questions and Answers

How much tax must I pay to be able to take part in Gift Aid?

You can join the Gift Aid Scheme providing you are a UK Taxpayer and pay an amount of income tax at least equal to the amount of any refund reclaimed by the parish on your donations.

Do I have to make a Binding Commitment?

No. Gift Aid is not a binding commitment and the parish will only claim back a tax refund on the actual amount you have given. You will not be asked to make up any missed payments, unless you choose to do so.

What happens if I change my address?

Just inform the Parish Organiser . You do not have to complete a new form.

What if I stop paying Income Tax or wish to cancel?

Inform the Organiser and we will cancel your Declaration.

Can I change the amount I give?

Yes. You can increase or decrease the amount you give at any time without having to complete a new declaration.

Is Gift Aid Confidential?

Yes. You do not have to disclose details of your income, savings, pensions or any other personal details.

What if I move to another parish?

If you have already signed a Gift Aid Declaration, all you have to do is to advise your new Parish Organiser of this fact and continue to use a method of payment that is easily recordable by the new parish.

I am already giving to my parish in the Offertory Collection. Will it cost me more to join the Gift Aid Scheme? Is this something extra?

No – It will cost you nothing extra. You are not being asked to give more money, simply to sign a declaration so that the parish can reclaim the tax paid on your giving. The Inland Revenue is only handing back to the parish the income tax you have already paid, so it will not affect you in any way.

How does the system work?

The parish needs to be able to prove to the Inland Revenue that they have kept proper records of your gifts. If you prefer to give by cash, then you must use the numbered envelope system (supplied by the parish); or give by cheque or Bankers Order. In other words, if you put your gift in the plate ‘loose’ i.e. without using a numbered envelope (unique to you), then regrettably the parish would be unable to identify the cash as coming from you and would not benefit from your generosity.

How do I go about signing a Gift Aid Declaration?

Ask your Parish Gift Aid Organiser or Parish Priest for a form, or download a copy by clicking here: giftaid (requires Adobe Reader and a printer). It simply asks you to give your name and address and your consent so that all your donations can be treated as Gift Aid donations. You should sign and date the form. ONE MINUTE IS ALL IT TAKES.

If you require further information about the Gift Aid scheme, please contact your Parish Gift Aid Organiser or Parish Priest.